As the holidays approach, prepare your employees for the hazards that come with the season.
There are many stressors that can impact the health of your employees and your business. To
help keep them safe and well, make sure that your employees, no matter what your industry,
are prepared for the following:
Hazard #1: Ice
Ice can have a significant impact on your employee’s safety and on your business. Did you
know that slips, trips and falls, Pinnacol’s most common claims, spike during December,
January and February? Whether you and your employees work indoors or outdoors, take extra
precaution to avoid falling during inclement weather. Here are some tips to help avoid injury
when walking on ice and snow:
• Walk slowly and deliberately
• Wear boots or slip-resistant footwear
• Be prepared for black ice formation after melting occurs
• Exercise caution when getting in and out of vehicles
• Watch for slippery floors when entering buildings
• Keep hands empty and arms free to move for stabilization – use backpacks if
Hazard #2: Illness
With the holiday season comes cold and flu season. Here are some of the most effective ways
to prevent spreading germs in the office and out:
• Regular hand washing: Make sure you are washing your hands with soap for about 20
seconds and rinse with warm water. Use a paper towel to turn off the faucet or open the
• Take care of yourself: Keep your immune system strong by getting plenty of sleep,
eating leafy greens, staying hydrated, being active and practicing stress management.
Get regular exercise by hitting the gym or taking a walk on your break.
• Stay home: When at all possible, keep your germs at home. Work remotely when you
are able and consider calling in when you have meetings.
• Keep your workspace clean: Make sanitizing products available so you and your
employees can keep workstations and work tools clean.
Hazard #3: Stress
Between long work hours and the hustle and bustle, it seems like the holiday season and stress
go hand in hand. Stress can be toxic, impacting work productivity, attendance and physical
health. Help your employees beat workplace stress this winter by offering a yoga class, bringing
in a massage therapist who offers chair massage, or by encouraging them to get moving and
burn some calories. Talk to your employees about their stress levels and work together to figure
out how to reduce them.
Pinnacol would like to wish you and yours a warm and safe holiday season. Don’t forget that we
offer free safety trainings and other complimentary resources at www.pinnacol.com. You can
also call our Safety On Call hotline to speak to a safety consultant at 303.361.4700 or at