Glenwood Springs, CO, November 17, 2015 –Glenwood Insurance Agency advises drivers to prepare themselves for the hazards of winter, the time of year when auto accident claims increase in frequency, according to an analysis of claims incidence at Travelers, a leading provider of auto and homeowners insurance.
“Snow storms and icy conditions present a particular set of driving hazards,” said Angela Sampels of Glenwood Insurance Agency. “Preparing your vehicle for the winter and knowing how to react in severe conditions or if stranded are the keys to safe winter driving.”
Glenwood Insurance Agency recommends that the following measures be taken to avoid an accident during the cold winter months:
Be prepared before a storm hits:
- Have a mechanic check your car’s battery, brakes, fluid levels (antifreeze, windshield washer fluid and oil), as well as the heating and exhaust systems to ensure that your car is in good, safe working condition.
- Try to keep your gas tank full during the winter months. Don’t allow the gas to go below half a tank. Not only will this prevent damage from freezing, you’ll avoid running out of gas if you’re stuck in a traffic jam during the dead of winter.
- Install snow tires or all-weather radials with adequate treads.
- An adequate supply of windshield washing liquid is critical to wash away the mud and melted snow that can severely limit visibility.
- Prepare for an emergency. Keep blankets, flares, a sack of sand for traction, shovel, windshield scraper and brush, tool kit, towrope, booster cables and a flashlight with extra batteries in your trunk. You should also stock your car with material for survival, such as waterproof matches to melt snow for drinking water, a first aid kit, dry clothing and a brightly colored cloth (to tie to the antenna).
When driving under adverse winter conditions:
- Take care pulling out of streets blocked by mountains of snow. It’s often difficult to see who or what is coming.
- Back your car into the driveway so you have better vision when pulling out.
- Be aware of joggers on the street. Often sidewalks are impassable and die-hard joggers venture onto the street for a clearer path. Unfortunately, they may not see icy spots or other hazards hidden below the slush.
- When waiting to make a left-hand turn, keep wheels pointed straight ahead. If wheels are turned to the left in anticipation of making the turn and you’re rear-ended, your car will be pushed into the path of oncoming traffic, which could result in a head-on collision.
- If your car does not have anti-lock brakes and you start skidding on the ice, try not to slam on your brakes. Gently pump your brakes to maintain better control and prevent your wheels from locking.
- If your car does have anti-lock brakes, slam on your brakes when skidding on the ice. Pumping your brakes prevents the anti-lock system from taking over.
If you must travel during a severe storm:
- Don’t travel alone. Notify someone of your estimated time of arrival as well as your primary and alternate travel routes.
- If stuck, stay in the car and wait for help. Run the engine and heater sparingly. Also make sure your exhaust pipe is clear of snow and ventilate your car so that carbon monoxide fumes won’t poison you.
- Keep your energy. Eat food that provides the body with energy for producing its own heat. Replenish your body with fluids to prevent dehydration. Don’t eat snow; it will lower your body temperature. Melt it first.
About Glenwood Insurance Agency
Glenwood Insurance Agency has been serving the insurance needs of Western Colorado for more than 100 years. Founded in 1911, Glenwood Insurance Agency has grown into one of the 100 largest privately held insurance agencies in the nation. In addition to their Glenwood Springs location, they own and operate Carbondale Insurance Service, and the Sterling Insurance Agency in Aspen, Colorado. Representing more than 30 insurance providers, they have the resources to provide valuable insurance at a competitive price. Glenwood Insurance Agency is a full-service agency offering insurance for home, auto, and business needs, as well as life, health, disability, and long term care insurance. They are a member of the nationwide Strategic Insurance Agency Alliance.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. The company’s diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage sold primarily through independent agents and brokers. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has operations in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Ireland. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.
Glenwood Insurance is partnering with Desktop Consulting (DTCI) for quarterly seminars in 2016. The primary topic will be Cyber Security/Cyber Liability.
Our tentative quarterly schedule is the following:
- January 28th (Thursday) – Carbondale – 3rd Street Center
- April 7th (Thursday) – Basalt – Basalt Library
- June 16th or 17th (Thursday or Friday ) – Aspen– Location TBD
- October (in conjunction with the Chambers Bizopoly) – Glenwood Springs – Location TBD
With the growing trend on sophisticated cyber-attacks, today’s tip speaks to the hot topic of cybersecurity. We’ve all heard of the threats and some have experienced the bite. A high percentage of the threat can be eliminated by following advice repeated time and time again. If it looks suspicious, DELETE IT! The cunning perpetrators are becoming extremely tricky so always be on guard.
The likelihood of you encountering a cyber-attack is high as the trend continues. Please see the attached doc (Note: coming to you from a trusted source) which will give examples of threats, reveal the trick (which could surprise you) and speak to managing the threat. See how you can avoid falling victim to cybersecurity.
The GSCRA has partnered with Glenwood Insurance and Right BeneFIT to bring our members some much needed help with healthcare. The Your BeneFITS program puts live help in the palm of your hand with a mobile app that gives you easy access to services like these:
- 24/7 telephonic access to doctors for routine care
- No per use cost!
- Unlimited for the entire family!
- Live Imaging Consultants – access to a specialized low cost network
- Choose the best cost/location combination for you
- Live Health Advocates – expert help with healthcare headaches
- Resolving claims and billing issues
- Negotiating with providers on your behalf
- Explaining your benefits
family!Employers – you can save money on your healthcare costs and improve employee retention with Your BeneFITS for your company!For Employers wanting to know more – call or email Scott Bolitho at 970.384.8330 firstname.lastname@example.orgFinally you can get the help you need to save money, time and frustration using healthcare!Click HERE to get details or enroll today!
Just one click from you could help Advocate Safehouse Project win up to $10,500 from Safeco Insurance. That’s right — just one click.
Glenwood Insurance Agency has been selected for a Safeco Insurance® Make More Happen Award because of our volunteer service with Advocate Safehouse Project. The award comes with a $3,000 donation from Safeco Insurance for Advocate Safehouse Project, and entry in the Safeco Insurance Make More Happen Contest.
Your votes could help Advocate Safehouse Project receive even more money from Safeco! Here’s how it works:
- The public gets to vote for their favorite agency-and-charity team featured in the Make More Happen Contest.
- The three agency-charity teams with the most votes will win additional donations from Safeco for each charity. First place gets $10,000, second place $5,000, and third place $3,000.
- If the total votes made during the contest reach or exceed the vote goal, all charities featured in the contest will receive an additional $500 donation from Safeco Insurance.
At Glenwood Insurance Agency, we believe strongly in supporting our community — and dedicated organizations like Advocate Safehouse Project help make Western Colorado a better place for all of us. We’re particularly proud that we have been recognized with the Safeco Insurance Make More Happen Award.
Glenwood Insurance Agency is a major contributor to one of Advocate Safehouse Project’s most notable fundraisers, the Mother’s Day Mile Fun Run and Silent Auction. They also provide volunteers to collect donations for the silent auction; they then wrap the donations into baskets and manage the silent auction during the Mother’s Day event. Glenwood Insurance Agency’s Nettie Avery has been on the board of directors since 2013. “It’s a festive time in early May when we’re preparing for the Mother’s Day Mile. Our employees get to show their creativity in wrapping and displaying the donations from our community. It’s one of the highlights of our year.”
Please help make more happen for our community by voting today: safeco.com/make-more-happen
Of course, all of the Make More Happen Award winners deserve to be celebrated, so when you visit the contest site, take a little time to read about the great work they all do and cheer on those that inspire you. Be sure to leave a “cheer” or a positive comment for Advocate Safehouse Project or Glenwood Insurance Agency! We hope you’ll come away inspired to make a difference.
You can start by getting involved with Advocate Safehouse Project. Just go to www.advocatesafehouse.org to find out how.
Voting in the Make More Happen Contest begins 10 a.m. PDT Oct. 26 and closes 10 a.m. PDT Nov. 16. You can vote once every 24 hours throughout the contest. Cheer as often as you like!
Click below to watch video from Travelers Institute, Bizopoly 2014
Important dates for 2016 enrollment:
- November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment starts — first day you can enroll in a 2016 Marketplace plan
- January 1, 2016: First date 2016 coverage can start
- January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends
If you don’t enroll in a 2016 plan by January 31, 2016, you can’t enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
Medicaid, CHIP, and SHOP – apply any time
- There’s no limited enrollment period for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). You can apply any time.
- There’s also no limited enrollment period for small businesses to enroll in SHOP coverage for their employees. You can apply any time.
The fee if you don’t have coverage in 2016
If you don’t have coverage in 2016, you may have to pay a fee. The fee is higher in 2016 than it was in 2015. Learn about the fee for not having health coverage in 2016.
Contact the professionals at Glenwood Insurance Agency to help guide you through the process | 970-945-9161.
“The Thousand Can Drive” To Accept Produce Donations on September 25
Glenwood Springs, CO. — Glenwood Insurance Agency’s Thousand Can Drive will culminate at 4 p.m. on September 25 with a ceremony to count and donate the cans or non-perishable items to LIFT-UP in the parking lot in front of the offices at 1605 Grand Avenue. In addition to cans and non-perishables, the final count will also include a produce drive hosted by LiveWell of Garfield County and Eagle Springs Organic.
Last year over 3400 items were donated to LIFT-UP and this year, Bank of Colorado and ANB Bank will add to the total collected by the dentists’ offices of Corey I. Johnson, DDS. and Murray Dental. Glenwood Insurance Agency has also expanded their efforts this year by collecting items at Carbondale Insurance Service and Sterling Insurance in Aspen.
“We’re happy to bring awareness to a very serious issue that impacts many in our valley. The valley’s hungry go unnoticed to most of us so it’s encouraging to see added interest from the community. It’s also fun to have local businesses competing for such a good ca use. ” said Ian Exelbert, COO of Glenwood Insurance Agency. “With the addition of two local banks and now Eagle Springs Organic we should be able to fill LIFT-UP’s trucks.”
LIFT-UP’s vehicles will be joined this year by a truck from Eagle Springs Organic which will allow for produce donations during the counting ceremony. Community members, producers, gardeners and others are encouraged to donate excess produce that would otherwise go bad or go uneaten at the ceremony on September 25 between 3 and 5p.m.
Eagle Springs Organic will match food donations up to 1000 lbs of food. Ken Sack, Owner of Eagle Springs Organic also promises to process any donated wild game or custom exempt cows, pigs, sheep or goats for LIFT-UP. “It’s a fantastic cause and we’re happy to help out. Anything we can do to help out before the holidays is a step in the right direction.”
Dana Wood of LiveWell of Garfield County arranged the relationship when she heard about the Thousand Can Drive. “One of LiveWell Garfield County’s goals is to increase healthy food access and the consumption of fruits and vegetables among those that are at the highest risk for obesity. This is a perfect opportunity to do just that.”
Fans, parents and players of the Glenwood Springs High School football team are also invited to make donations prior to the game against Grand Junction Central that begins at 7 p.m.
Those that would like to help Glenwood Insurance Agency may make donations prior to the ceremony at 1605 Grand Avenue, Unit K in Glenwood Springs, or at Carbondale Insurance Service at 502 Main Street in Carbondale or Sterling Insurance at 300 Aspen in the Aspen Business Center.
Glenwood Insurance Agency’s “Thousand Can Drive” attempts to match or exceed the amount of cans collected by Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park throughout the summer at the Music on the Mountain, which is an on-going food drive for LIFT-UP which allows patrons to ride the Iron Mountain Tramway for free with the donation of a can or other non-perishable item.
Glenwood Insurance Agency is a proud supporter of St. Stephen’s 8th annual Festival of Diversity, August 29-30th at Sayre Park in Glenwood Springs. Enjoy fun festivities, food, music and entertainment for kids and adults!
Also… want to see our very own Bryan Avery get wet? He is a dunk tank participant (on Saturday, August 29th at 2:30 p.m.), so don’t miss it!!!
See you there!
Click here for full schedule of events & more.