Glenwood Springs, CO, November 17, 2015 –Glenwood Insurance Agency advises drivers to prepare themselves for the hazards of winter, the time of year when auto accident claims increase in frequency, according to an analysis of claims incidence at Travelers, a leading provider of auto and homeowners insurance.
“Snow storms and icy conditions present a particular set of driving hazards,” said Angela Sampels of Glenwood Insurance Agency. “Preparing your vehicle for the winter and knowing how to react in severe conditions or if stranded are the keys to safe winter driving.”
Glenwood Insurance Agency recommends that the following measures be taken to avoid an accident during the cold winter months:
Be prepared before a storm hits:
- Have a mechanic check your car’s battery, brakes, fluid levels (antifreeze, windshield washer fluid and oil), as well as the heating and exhaust systems to ensure that your car is in good, safe working condition.
- Try to keep your gas tank full during the winter months. Don’t allow the gas to go below half a tank. Not only will this prevent damage from freezing, you’ll avoid running out of gas if you’re stuck in a traffic jam during the dead of winter.
- Install snow tires or all-weather radials with adequate treads.
- An adequate supply of windshield washing liquid is critical to wash away the mud and melted snow that can severely limit visibility.
- Prepare for an emergency. Keep blankets, flares, a sack of sand for traction, shovel, windshield scraper and brush, tool kit, towrope, booster cables and a flashlight with extra batteries in your trunk. You should also stock your car with material for survival, such as waterproof matches to melt snow for drinking water, a first aid kit, dry clothing and a brightly colored cloth (to tie to the antenna).
When driving under adverse winter conditions:
- Take care pulling out of streets blocked by mountains of snow. It’s often difficult to see who or what is coming.
- Back your car into the driveway so you have better vision when pulling out.
- Be aware of joggers on the street. Often sidewalks are impassable and die-hard joggers venture onto the street for a clearer path. Unfortunately, they may not see icy spots or other hazards hidden below the slush.
- When waiting to make a left-hand turn, keep wheels pointed straight ahead. If wheels are turned to the left in anticipation of making the turn and you’re rear-ended, your car will be pushed into the path of oncoming traffic, which could result in a head-on collision.
- If your car does not have anti-lock brakes and you start skidding on the ice, try not to slam on your brakes. Gently pump your brakes to maintain better control and prevent your wheels from locking.
- If your car does have anti-lock brakes, slam on your brakes when skidding on the ice. Pumping your brakes prevents the anti-lock system from taking over.
If you must travel during a severe storm:
- Don’t travel alone. Notify someone of your estimated time of arrival as well as your primary and alternate travel routes.
- If stuck, stay in the car and wait for help. Run the engine and heater sparingly. Also make sure your exhaust pipe is clear of snow and ventilate your car so that carbon monoxide fumes won’t poison you.
- Keep your energy. Eat food that provides the body with energy for producing its own heat. Replenish your body with fluids to prevent dehydration. Don’t eat snow; it will lower your body temperature. Melt it first.
About Glenwood Insurance Agency
Glenwood Insurance Agency has been serving the insurance needs of Western Colorado for more than 100 years. Founded in 1911, Glenwood Insurance Agency has grown into one of the 100 largest privately held insurance agencies in the nation. In addition to their Glenwood Springs location, they own and operate Carbondale Insurance Service, and the Sterling Insurance Agency in Aspen, Colorado. Representing more than 30 insurance providers, they have the resources to provide valuable insurance at a competitive price. Glenwood Insurance Agency is a full-service agency offering insurance for home, auto, and business needs, as well as life, health, disability, and long term care insurance. They are a member of the nationwide Strategic Insurance Agency Alliance.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. The company’s diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage sold primarily through independent agents and brokers. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has operations in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Ireland. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.
Glenwood Insurance is partnering with Desktop Consulting (DTCI) for quarterly seminars in 2016. The primary topic will be Cyber Security/Cyber Liability.
Our tentative quarterly schedule is the following:
- January 28th (Thursday) – Carbondale – 3rd Street Center
- April 7th (Thursday) – Basalt – Basalt Library
- June 16th or 17th (Thursday or Friday ) – Aspen– Location TBD
- October (in conjunction with the Chambers Bizopoly) – Glenwood Springs – Location TBD
With the growing trend on sophisticated cyber-attacks, today’s tip speaks to the hot topic of cybersecurity. We’ve all heard of the threats and some have experienced the bite. A high percentage of the threat can be eliminated by following advice repeated time and time again. If it looks suspicious, DELETE IT! The cunning perpetrators are becoming extremely tricky so always be on guard.
The likelihood of you encountering a cyber-attack is high as the trend continues. Please see the attached doc (Note: coming to you from a trusted source) which will give examples of threats, reveal the trick (which could surprise you) and speak to managing the threat. See how you can avoid falling victim to cybersecurity.
The GSCRA has partnered with Glenwood Insurance and Right BeneFIT to bring our members some much needed help with healthcare. The Your BeneFITS program puts live help in the palm of your hand with a mobile app that gives you easy access to services like these:
- 24/7 telephonic access to doctors for routine care
- No per use cost!
- Unlimited for the entire family!
- Live Imaging Consultants – access to a specialized low cost network
- Choose the best cost/location combination for you
- Live Health Advocates – expert help with healthcare headaches
- Resolving claims and billing issues
- Negotiating with providers on your behalf
- Explaining your benefits
family!Employers – you can save money on your healthcare costs and improve employee retention with Your BeneFITS for your company!For Employers wanting to know more – call or email Scott Bolitho at 970.384.8330 email@example.comFinally you can get the help you need to save money, time and frustration using healthcare!Click HERE to get details or enroll today!